Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- v wén , away from the speaker. Ex.: Iakawén apa lawanu. ~ I go home.
- v an , only with infix "-ak-". Ex.: Iakan apa Ituga, apa imaim asul. ~ I go to Ituga, to the principal nakamal.
- v iér , out, away. Ex.: Io iamiér apa la sekul mwa iken ek. ~ I went out from school and I came here.
- v ir , together with somebody. Ex.: Tanekir io kiawén apa Ituga? ~ Will you follow me to Ituga?
- v wa , towards the speaker. Ex.: Wa iken ek! ~ Come here!
Speaker: Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)