Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- (generic term) n tauar
- n prop Tahgen , behind the village of Lamapruan.
- (ancient term) n prop Forépa , old name for the 'Tukosmera' mountain.
- n prop Tukosmera , the highest peak of Tanna, sacred place and dwelling place of god 'Kalpapen'. lit. "green mountain". cf.: 'Forépa'.
- n tanepes , whose ridge ends inside the island. cf.: 'tanitou'.
- n tanitou , whose ridge goes all the way down to the seashore. cf.: 'tanepes'.
Speaker: Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)