Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- (generic term) n nau
- n nau kamaregen incorrect name sometimes given to 'nau maneté' because its stems are used as traditional "cooking pots" called 'kamaregen'.
- n nau ikinuhum species with strong stems often used for buildings.
- n nau nahwal species with thin stems, used to make fishing rods and a local kind of pan flutes. Sharp pieces are used as knives during boys circumcision and girls coming to age ceremony 'nuig kelél'.
- n kamaregen , stem of bamboo 'nau maneté' used for cooking on fire as a kind of pot. Food is filled inside and leaves are used as a tap. It can also serve to keep food for several days.
- n nau maneté stems are used in house construction and as a traditional "cooking pots" and for keeping meat for several days.
Speaker: Clément Kapalu (Lowanatom) , Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)