Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- (generic term) n prop mawuk
- n mawuk ramépép malwia , full, lit. "the Moon knocks on butterflyfish".
- n nati tawar , full. A more common term than 'mawuk ramépép malwia'. Means that when the sun is setting, the Moon just appears above the mountains.
- n nail ratuatu , in its first quarter. lit. "it stays straight", meaning that in the sky the Moon appears straight in the zenith in the evening.
- n numanmel , in its last quarter and especially as a waning crescent.
- n mawuk wi , when it appears as a waxing crescent on the sky.
Speaker: Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)