Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
Do you want to print out the dictionary? Download its complete version in a print-ready PDF.
If you want to appreciate my effort and support my work, make a donation through PayPal. Any amount is appreciated.
- n iamnum nekavaEmoia cyanura, Emoia impar), ground-dwelling species. Part of family 'meliak'.
- n kapiarusCaledoniscincus atropunctatus), ground-dwelling species. Part of family 'meliak'.
- n tugaEmoia ceauruleocauda), ground-dwelling species. Part of family 'meliak'. Adult. Juveniles of this species are called 'pelpel'.
- n pelpelEmoia ceauruleocauda), ground-dwelling species. Part of family 'meliak'. Juvenile. The adults of this species are called 'tuga'.
- n ryryEmoia sp.), species from family 'iuwau'. It is said that the skink is the spear of spirit 'Mwatiktik'. If a man tries to kill it, but the skink flees, the man should tell the skink the following words so he does not get a sick caused by the skink. "Tanekuwén masenian napuk wi, tanameni napuk awas." - "You must not sing the new song, you must sing the old one."
Featured videos | More on my YouTube channel
2013-05-13 Kaloni 1 | Flying foxes on their tree behind Lenus
2013-05-25 Večerní cesta na misii | Evening on Lowanatom mission