Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- (generic term) n nek , whatever kind excluding bamboos, grasses and vines.
- v hau , generic term. cf.: 'sy'. Ex.: Iamhau paren. ~ I am planting a live fence.
- n nekesekes parasitic species, grows on other trees. It is said to grow "without trunk and roots" and when the host tree dies, it dies with it. The name 'nekesekes' is also used figuratively to describe people who forgot their "roots" - the village and the traditional way of life.
- v atek , seeds or little plants. Ex.: Lenaw iamsipan pa lé nekin nasuman matek kapus. ~ Yesterday I went to the garden to plant cabbage.
- n iélkeneka , species, parasite on trees, similar to 'nekesekes'. lit. "without leg".
- n ropian species. Its leaves are placed between the beams and the roof in order to prevent the rain coming into the house.
- v sy , yams. Ex.: Naramim kamasy nuw apa lé nekin nasuman. ~ People are planting yams.
Speaker: Clément Kapalu (Lowanatom) , Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)