Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- n prop Kasulia apam , "long 'kasulia'", three stars of the Orion's belt.
- n prop Kasulia rerparep , "short 'kasulia'", three stars of the sword of Orion.
- n prop Kou , five stars of head of Taurus, in form of 'kou'.
- n prop Kahau , four stars on the end of the Scorpions' tail.
- n prop Kilil , seven main stars of the Orion.
- n prop Suatu kywer , southern cross, lit. "four ways", in allusion to the four customary exchange roads running from each 'imaim'.
- n nekaloawin , southern cross, lit. "the cross", said to be a newer expression than 'Suatu kywer'.
Speaker: Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)