Dictionary of Netwar (Lenakel language)
- In this category:
- Language posters
This is the first ever extensive dictionary of Netwar language (western Tanna, Republic of Vanuatu) published online. It is the fruit of several years of my work among the inhabitants of the island of Tanna. It contains translations of local expressions, pronunciation recordings and photographic documentation. Its purpose is to help in the preservation of the language and in passing it to the young generation.
If you want to use this data in any way, or found a mistake, please, contact me first.
- (generic term) n kupas
- n kupas iéluk natuan , black, with white belly and sides.
- n kupas kamatau , castrated.
- n kupas pispis , kind of large pigs appreciated for their soft meat.
- n kupas meta , kind with clean and bright skin.
- n kupas iawanawanar , kind with outgrowths on its neck skin.
- n iowiaren , not castrated, kept for reproduction.
- n kupas kameta , of brown color.
- n kupas kalato , of grayish color.
- n kupas kapwia , special kind once used as offering to 'ieramara'.
- n kupas iawiét , with only one testicle visible.
- n kupas katkhatek , with spotted skin.
- n kupas kalai , with white and black spots.
Speaker: Noël Yeru (Lowanatom)